Seminar English Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seminar English Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to Seminar English

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+30
dur_its_jennifer
SteveF6
Nodrog1221
kayla2
duyen821
JustAustria
NickP6
kellyiscool2
badrummike
KimLp.6
Howard-san
laurent_'10
LanHuang
Kaaaaren6
IanBunkerBoyz
rsantos92
CassieS2
omgzzANGELA.
B. Truitt 3
ananya_j
CheyenneP6
SamC3
NickNack3
Dylan M Per. 3
Dno222
katie3
jacqueleeny
misscassidym3
K. Hoffer 3
Admin
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
duyen821

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-09-07

POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST: Short Story: "The Gift of the Magi" (151)   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2006 5:37 pm

I think I read this story in 6th or 7th grade. I liked how this story is such a great example of irony. This is a sweet story because it showed how the couple loved each other very much that they would sacrafice their treasures to buy gifts for one another.
Back to top Go down
kayla2

kayla2

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: POST: Short Story: "The Gift of the Magi" (151)   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2006 6:33 pm

I had read this story in a previous grade, so the plot seemed really obvious.
Back to top Go down
Nodrog1221

Nodrog1221

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Re: POST: Short Story: "The Gift of the Magi" (151)   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2006 9:20 pm

I found this story very touching. Not as ironic as the necklace because it is exspected of someone to give up something to give to someone else in the Christmas spirit but yet, ironic all the same. I found it a perfect example of what we call "Love". One person is willing to give up their most prized possesions for the one that they wish to spend their life with.
Back to top Go down
Dno222

Dno222

Number of posts : 71

PostSubject: Re: POST: Short Story: "The Gift of the Magi" (151)   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2006 7:22 am

JustAustria wrote:
I really liked the story and the ending was pretty ironic, but why would someone want to buy hair?
They buy hair to make wigs. Then they sell the wigs to make money. cheers
Back to top Go down
SteveF6

SteveF6

Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: POST: Short Story: "The Gift of the Magi" (151)   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2006 10:30 pm

Personally, I have over the years heard many stories like this one so I was not suprised at all when the ironical ending occurred. In fact, I almost expected the story to end that way after I had read the intro. Besides that, I could say that this was a respectable, harder to read classical short story. Consequently, I found that I actually enjoyed the story more because it was challenging rather than being a pice of cake to read.
Back to top Go down
dur_its_jennifer

dur_its_jennifer

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: POST: Short Story: "The Gift of the Magi" (151)   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 16, 2006 10:40 pm

I've heard of this story so many times and have always enjoyed the ending. I like how the ending has a timeless lesson to be learned. I think this is a really good short story that a lot of people enjoy and remember because of the lesson it teaches everyone. It shows that a gift doesn't have to be expensive, as long as you put your heart into it. It also shows that love can't always be measured by materialistic items, but in people's sacrifices. I've seen on the little kiddy shows where they retell the story in many different versions. I feel bad for Della and Jim for giving up their most prized materialistic item ( I say materialistic because their love for each other is their most prized possession). I feel even bad for Jim because Jim's watch can't just grow back in time like Della's hair.
Back to top Go down
JoNaThAn_D2

JoNaThAn_D2

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: POST: Short Story: "The Gift of the Magi" (151)   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2006 4:57 pm

Jim could always save enough to buy a new watch, which could take just as long for Della to regrow her hair back to normal. I remeber reading this in eighth grade and its good to remeber this story again.
Back to top Go down
NatSanchez27

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Short Story: "The Gift of the Magi" (151)   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2006 5:11 pm

I liked this ending, altough it turned out bad for both characters. I think it showed the true love they had for eachother, and that they would do anything to just make their spouse happy.
Back to top Go down
H yhtomiT 6

H yhtomiT 6

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: The gift of the Magi   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2006 5:31 pm

It was ironic that both Della and Jim gave up their most prized possessions to purchase gifts for each other. Neither ended up with a gift that they could use at that time and they both realized that their love was more than gifts could express. At first, each of them wanted to show how much they loved each other by purchasing an expensive gift to please one another and their most prized possession. Della did not have enough money and sold her hair as a result to buy Jim a gift by Christmas. Jim sold his watch. The gifts had no meaning however the thought of giving the gift was what pleased the couple. They went through all their troubles to make one another happy. The truth of the matter is that (true) love does not have a price. The foreshadowing was subtle and implied through their actions, so it was clear how the story would end.
Back to top Go down
spatterson

spatterson

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Short Story: "The Gift of the Magi" (151)   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2006 8:21 pm

I thought that this story was incredible. I think O. Henry is an amazing author and I loved the ending to this tale of two loving, sacrificing, young people who have given their most valuable possesions in order to make the other's valuable possesion of greater worth.
Back to top Go down
Dno222

Dno222

Number of posts : 71

PostSubject: Re: POST: Short Story: "The Gift of the Magi" (151)   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2006 8:13 pm

JoNaThAn_D2 wrote:
Jim could always save enough to buy a new watch, which could take just as long for Della to regrow her hair back to normal. I remeber reading this in eighth grade and its good to remeber this story again.
That is true, they could save up and buy/grow their possesions back. I remeber this type of situation somewhere else but I can't really remember. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Short Story: "The Gift of the Magi" (151)   POST:  Short Story:  "The Gift of the Magi" (151) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2