Seminar English Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to Seminar English

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Howard-san

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:49 pm

I found out grenades became popular during World War I. On the Pozieres Heights on the night of 26-27 July 1916, Australian and British troops threw grenades at the German troops (with grenades being thrown in retaliation) for 12.5 hours. The Allied side threw over 15,000 grenades!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kellyiscool2

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:07 pm

This website has so much information it was hard to figure out where to start. One of the first topics to investigate was the battles of the Western Front, seeing as the novel we are reading takes place on the Western Front. The first land battle of the war was the Battle of Leige. This battle lasted for a total of twelve days. It was fought between Belguim and Germany. Though the Germans greatly outnumbered the Belgiums, Germany ended up losing a significant amount of men by the time the battle was over. Germany, however, did end up forcing the Belgium troops back to the city of Antwerp. Before visiting this website I did not know much of anything about World War I. My favorite parts of the site are the images, memiors, and the video clips. These sections of the site helped me to really understand that the war actually happened and real people went through it. This is a concept that I often overlook while learning about history.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badrummike

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:22 pm

I thought it was REALLY cool reading about the grenades that exploded on contact and also how the soldiers learned how to time the grenades so that they landed right in front of the enemy troops so that they ate shrapnel. Also, I thought WWI was always a major plane battle but as it turns out one of the main bodies, Germany had only about 140 planes for the first four years of the war. Cool site. afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
mchu

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:53 pm

The part of the website that I found the most interesting was about the types of gases that they used. It amazed me that they were able to produce the amount of gas they had. The Germans used 68,000 tons, the French used 36,000 tons, and the British used 25,000 tons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aaron the great

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:33 pm

When I visited the website, I went right to the section on tanks. I did this because I had no idea that WWI had tanks. It was interesting when I looked at the statistics on how many tanks were made in the war each year by each country because Italy made 6 tanks the endire war, when France made 4,800 the entire war.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
B. Truitt 3

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:01 am

I read about the strategic values of gases used in the war. Over 1 240 850 casualties and 91 198 deaths resulted from poison gas. It was interesting to learn about the gases that were used, chlorine, phosgene, and mustard gas, and their horrific effects on the soldiers .
While initially testing chlorine gas, the Germans made a hole in the Allied line approximately 4 miles wide. The terrified allied troops fled in disorder. Had the Germans been prepared for this they could have made a decisive breakthrough through the French line. The German infantry did eventually advance into the gap, but did so nervously and with hesitance, allowing the French to regroup and reform a continuous line.
It was informative to learn about the preventative measures taken against gas poisoning. Towards the end, gas became an ineffective measure of attack for either the allied forces, or the Germans, because they were quickly able to respond by using new methods of protection.
It was interesting to learn that it was dangerous to assault and capture a trench after the troops fired mustard gas into it. They had to wait until it was safe and that gave the enemy time to retaliate by regrouping and falling into a defensive position or mounting a counter attack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3