Seminar English Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to Seminar English

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kellyiscool2

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:49 pm

This short story was an excellent example of how every choice you make can have a significant affect on your life, whether it is a negative or posotive one. In the story, Madame Loisel made the choice not to tell her friend Madame Forestier that she lost her necklace. Instead, she ruined the next ten years of her life raising money to buy a duplicate. In the end it becomes clear that if she had chosen to tell the truth to her friend in the first place, she would have enjoyed those ten years much more. It is amazing what a difference telling Madame Forestier about the necklace would have made for Madame Loisel. Ten years is a huge part of a person's life and it is so sad how they can be wasted with a mistake such as the one made by Madame Loisel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SamC3

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: The Necklace   Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:02 pm

I enjoyed The Necklace and understood why it was one of the most famous short stories. In class, Mr. Kelso said that we would be shocked by the ending. In the moments after finishing the story, I sat there pondering what had just happened.

-Sam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nicole3

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:54 pm

I feel really bad for Madame Loisel's husband because he had to work really hard to make her happy. Madame Loisel didn't think her husband was good enough for her, and thought she deserved better. The husband had to work really hard for 10 years because of his wife's greed and mistake. I wish the short story had told us where the necklace ended up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KSakumoto6

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:04 pm

After reading The Necklace I have to say that the ending was pretty predictable. Anyone as spoiled as Madame Loisel was going to end up with consequences. Also, it goes without saying that it is much better to tell the truth than to lie and work 10 years to cover it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
corinna004

Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:34 pm

I thought "The Necklace" was pretty good but I felt bad for the Madame Loisel's husband that worked his whole life just to pay off the money for his greedy wife and then found out that it wasn't even worth it. He could have done alot with the left over money but his wife ruined it for him. But over all, I thought it was a pretty good short story. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JustAustria

Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:45 pm

The end of the story wasn't as shocking as i thought it would be, but in the end i think Madame Loisel deserved it. She acted so selfishly and she got what she deserved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Howard-san

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:28 pm

kellyiscool2 wrote:
This short story was an excellent example of how every choice you make can have a significant affect on your life, whether it is a negative or posotive one. In the story, Madame Loisel made the choice not to tell her friend Madame Forestier that she lost her necklace. Instead, she ruined the next ten years of her life raising money to buy a duplicate. In the end it becomes clear that if she had chosen to tell the truth to her friend in the first place, she would have enjoyed those ten years much more. It is amazing what a difference telling Madame Forestier about the necklace would have made for Madame Loisel. Ten years is a huge part of a person's life and it is so sad how they can be wasted with a mistake such as the one made by Madame Loisel.

She would've just spent those years whining and thinking about being rich. But if she didn't lie, at least her husband wouldn't have had to work so much for the 10 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ananya_j

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:44 am

The necklace was a beautiful story. The end got pretty twisted in the end, but i still thought it was a funny story. In this story the author tells he reader not to lie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d_shanklin95

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: the necklace (once you have read it )   Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:59 am

I found the whole sorry depressing. First she wants a better life,then when she goes to the party she gets drunk. She loses the necklace and spends ten years paying for a new one; then come to find out it was fake the whole time. afro Ridiculous.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dno222

Number of posts : 71

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:10 pm

Mdme Loisel should of just told her friend the truth about the necklace instead of lying about it because Mdme Loisel wouldn't have to go through all that trouble to replace a fake necklace with a geniune one. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
misscassidym3

Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: the necklace   Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:18 pm

i hope im posting this right... its a little confusing

i didnt think the end was all that surprising, but i would think her wealthy friend would help her out a little considering she just got an extremely valuable diamond necklace handed to her.

instead of replacing it, she should have told her friend what happened, and offered to pay for a new one. that way she could make sure she didnt have to pay any more than she needed to. pig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CassieS2

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:51 pm

I think Mme. Loisel was so self-centered that she deserved a wake-up call. Her husband worked really hard to please her and when he finally gave her the invatation, she only replies "What good is that to me?" Then she declares she can't go because she doesn't have a suitable dress. When Mathilde lost the necklace, she should have told Mme. Forestier that she had lost the valuable necklace but was willing to buy another. The moral? Have good karma! rabbit
Back to top Go down
View user profile
H yhtomiT 6

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: The Necklace   Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:29 pm

I think that Mme. Loisel's lust for wealth clouded her judgment and prevented her from realizing how happy she could have been if she did not always fantasize about better things and think about the good things she already possessed. Mme. Loisel was always thinking about herself rather than anyone else. She did not realize that she had a great husband who tended to her needs and sacrificed whatever he could to keep her happy. For example, he set aside the 400 francs he saved for a new rifle so that she could buy a new dress for herself. Her husband was grateful and content with his life. He did not mind having the same tablecloth for 3 days and was happy to have a simple soup while Mathilde was dreaming about elegant dinners. Mme. Loisel is quixotic and does not realize that you do not have to be rich to be happy. M. Loisel's thinking is more practical but was struck by fate when Mme. Loisel lost the necklace. He did not commit any crime, any offense, nor do any wrong to anyone, yet he suffered for the rest of his life because his wife could not be content with what she had. And all of that comes down to one conclusion: Don't marry an idiot. Or if you want to see it in a less cynical way, be happy with what you have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LanHuang

Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:21 pm

misscassidym3 wrote:
i hope im posting this right... its a little confusing

i didnt think the end was all that surprising, but i would think her wealthy friend would help her out a little considering she just got an extremely valuable diamond necklace handed to her.

instead of replacing it, she should have told her friend what happened, and offered to pay for a new one. that way she could make sure she didnt have to pay any more than she needed to. pig

pfft, she got what was coming for her, I would point and laugh, and then walk away, learned her lesson, thats worth a few bucks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
katie3

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:00 pm

i actually thought the ending was quite predictable. I think mr.kelso's clues that the story was going to be outrageous gave it away. It was still a good story and i would have never guessed that madame loisel would have to work so hard to pay off the debt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CCMoua3

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 pm

Haha. The ending was kinda funny in an odd way. It sucks for the main character, but its just a lesson for all to learn from. She wasted a decade of her life working off her debt but wasted her beauty and charm for the rest of her life in the meanwhile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NatSanchez27

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:47 pm

I liked this ending, even though it surprised me. I think she got what she deserved, although it was a tough price to pay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spatterson

PostSubject: I don't know if I am supposed to put a title...   Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:16 pm

Basically, I agree with most of the people who have posted replies. I think that Mme. Loisel was very ungrateful of the invitation. I also think, though, that she had a good point (she did have nothing to wear). It makes sense that she thinks she's too beautiful and fancy for a family of clerks. The part that doesn't make sense is that she hasn't gotten over the fact that she sadly, won't marry into a rich family. She was very selfish, and I think that she learned something very important. It was interesting that she learned two lessons, one, that she shouldn't have lied, and two, that she shouldn't be selfish and ungrateful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dylan M Per. 3

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:45 pm

I read the story last year and I knew what was going to happen, but it is still a great story the second time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mchu

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:49 pm

I thought that this story was quite interesting and had a funny ending. I wasn't expecting the story to end that way. I would feel very horrible at that moment I found out it wasn't real, wasting 10 years trying to get the necklace back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badrummike

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:52 pm

Man, that story was depressing. I thought it was going to have a happy ending, like maybe she finds her friend and her friend gives her money back. But they just leave you hanging there knowing that she wasted 10 years of her life working. Worse than 10 years of prison in my opinion. Sad

p.s. To all the people that said the ending was funny. You really think that a girl who has her life wrecked for no reason is funny?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
B. Truitt 3

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:20 am

Mme. Loisel's desire for wealth and a “better” position in society caused her to commit irrational acts and hindered her from realizing how happy she could have been if she did not fantasize about “better” things and be content with the things she already possessed. Being narcissistic, Mme. Loisel strove for praise and adulation, and was always thinking about herself and materialistic things rather than anyone else. Mme. Loisel was very ungrateful for her husbands efforts to please her. He obtained an invitation for her to a prestigious dinner, and instead of being thankful, she commenced to cry because she didn't have a dress. She did not realize that she had a good husband who respected to her needs and desires, and sacrificed whatever he could to keep her happy. He set aside 400 francs he saved to purchase a new hunting rifle so that she could buy a new dress for herself. Even after purchasing the dress, she was still unhappy as a result of her lack of jewelry. Her husband was grateful and content with his life. Mme. Loisel is quixotic and does not realize that it is not necessary to be wealthy and have a high position in society to be happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2006-09-06

PostSubject: from Nodrog   Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:48 am

I found the irony in the Necklace over powering. I can see how someone can not want to disgrace their name and re-pay someone for their necklace but the ending of the story was a little to much. i thought that a little less ironic ending might have been better. Overall, i think that the story was very exact on the human nature of always wanting more. We always want what we cant have and have what we dont want. Famous people want to be normal, normal people want to be famous, and on and on. We are never satisfied with what we are or what we have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kelsoseminar.editboard.com
flavorflavia

Registration date : 2006-09-17

PostSubject: the necklace   Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:58 pm

The ending of The Necklace definitely took me by surprise. I can't even imagine the distress Mme. Loisel must have felt when she found out the necklace was practically worthless. I think the the theme/moral, or one of the themes/morals is to be honest, because no good can come from lying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2