Seminar English Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seminar English Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to Seminar English

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+40
mchu
JustAustria
katie3
itsyihong
HomeboyPWalb
ananya_j
corinna004
laurent_'10
kellyiscool2
misscassidym3
CassieS2
LanHuang
aaron the great
aro3 *133t*
Dylan M Per. 3
dur_its_jennifer
Howard-san
kayla2
NatSanchez27
Joyceee6
CheyenneP6
SteveF6
Dno222
d_shanklin95
JoNaThAn_D2
NickP6
CCMoua3
rsantos92
omgzzANGELA.
KSakumoto6
DRESZ21!
duyen821
IanBunkerBoyz
SamC3
flavorflavia
jacqueleeny
Nodrog1221
Kaaaaren6
K. Hoffer 3
Admin
44 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2006-09-06

PostSubject: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 2:58 pm

Please share with us your reaction to the film? What are your likes? Dislikes?

Last edited by on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://kelsoseminar.editboard.com
K. Hoffer 3

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 4:00 pm

I thought the movie was very similar to The Member of the Wedding. The main character, in both the movie and the book, was a teenage girl tryed to find her place in the world. In both of the plots, something very good happens to the girl, but at the end disaster strikes. In the novel, Frankie is depressed until she become hopeful about the wedding. However, the couple does not let her travel with them. In the movie, the main character gets excited that she has a boyfriend, but he dies in an accident. Both of these coming-of-age stories are very similar and express the same idea.
Back to top Go down
Kaaaaren6

Kaaaaren6

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 4:09 pm

I found this movie shared a lot in common with The Member of the Wedding. There is something that both main characters are striving for, but it ended up being taken away causing them much grief. Both girls were trying to find something that would help make them feel more accepted in the world.

It was a little obvious to me that both sisters would end up liking the same person. What surprised me most was that he had to die later on. I didn't even expect that! Overall, the movie was pretty nice for me, and I enjoyed most of it. There were some scenes I would rather not have watched though. tongue
Back to top Go down
Nodrog1221

Nodrog1221

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 5:12 pm

I found this movie to be almost overly depressing. It made me feel bad to the point where i wished i hadnt had watched the movie. I almost regretted watching it. But, overall it was a nice movie. It had a few Ca-razy twists to it.
Back to top Go down
jacqueleeny

jacqueleeny

Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 5:20 pm

I thought that this movie was really similar to The Member of the Wedding because both plots are about a young girl who matures in life through facing their worst nightmares. In the movie, Dani thought her dream was coming true when she finally had a boyfriend, but then he cheated on her with her sister, and he died. Through this tragedy, she matured by learning to forgive, and probably learning to let go.

I really enjoyed the movie and its very interesting ending. Although it was sad, I wasn't completely moved because I didn't really Corey's character anyways. I just thought that his death was very grotesque. I love you
Back to top Go down
flavorflavia

flavorflavia

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-17

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 5:28 pm

I loved the movie. I though it was cool to see Reese Witherspoon as a young girl, and relate the movie to The Member of the Wedding.
Back to top Go down
SamC3

SamC3

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 5:32 pm

I loved the Man on the Moon and thought it was a moving coming of age film. I like those kinds of movies and it fit perfectly with the Member of the Wedding. Reese Witherspoon (one of my favorite actresses) and all the other characters were fantastic! I wish it was a book and we could have read it and then watched the movie! Great pick Mr. Kelso!
Back to top Go down
IanBunkerBoyz

IanBunkerBoyz

PostSubject: Same thing   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 6:29 pm

I am going to have to agree with everyone that has posted before me by saying that this is th quintessential bildungsroman. Dani, like Frankie, becomes more aware, and less naive of things like sexual relationships. Another impecable similarity is the fact that both characters have the closest friend die.

Even though the movie was sopposed to be sad, and emotional, I just thought it was funny. The way the mother falls on her face is hilarious because she just topples over and smashes her head. Also, right before Dani's attempt at a kiss, they were both laughing, but the guy sounded like a caveman. When Colt jumped out in front of the tractor it was just pure stupidity... Why would you jump in front of a fast moving, heavy vehicle, let alone one pulling metals spikes behind it.
Back to top Go down
duyen821

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 7:17 pm

I really liked this movie even though it had a sad ending. I can see how it definitely connected with the novel The Member of the Wedding Both of the main characters had a lot in common with them wanting to act older than their age. This movie had a perfect connection with the novel I am so glad i watched it.
Back to top Go down
DRESZ21!

DRESZ21!

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 7:44 pm

I liked The Man in the Moon, but I thought it would be a lot more similar to The Member of the Wedding. I thought To Kill a Mockingbird was a lot more similar.
Back to top Go down
KSakumoto6

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 8:20 pm

I really thought that this movie had more drama and captured the viewer better than the novel The Member of the Wedding. I had trouble following the plot of The Member of the Wedding, and I could not connect with any of the characters. However, both of the plots are very similar. The main characters are both young girls who are in the "in-between" state, not quite grown-up yet, but no longer a child. Both are trying to grow up faster than is possible. However, I liked the plot of The Man in the Moon better. I also felt that The Man in the Moon had more complex themes and was more interesting to analyze.
Back to top Go down
omgzzANGELA.

omgzzANGELA.

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2006-09-12

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 9:49 pm

I thought the movie was extremely similar to the book The Member of the Wedding. Danny reminded me so much of Frankie as I was gald that she didn't almost kill herself when she found out that her "boyfriend" and Maureen were falling in love with each other. And both the movie and book ended with a tragic death of one of the main characters which I thought was very interesting. But the acting in the movie as really good and I thought Reese Witherspoon was fantastic.
Back to top Go down
rsantos92

Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 4:48 pm

I was very surprised that Corey died in the end. I thought that the mom would have died giving birth to the baby, or when she fell. Because then Corey's family would have to help them out. After, Corey would fall in love with Moreen and they would accidentally have a child.
Back to top Go down
CCMoua3

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 6:14 pm

I liked the movie and how it fit with Member of the Wedding. The main characters are both somewhat overdramatic, but grow out of their immature nature throughout the work slowly. Danny and Frankie had a lot in common, including their stubborn and arrogant ways. They both know how to dress to impress. Hah.
Back to top Go down
NickP6

NickP6

Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 7:07 pm

I liked the movie, but i think it was a bit rushed. I felt sorry for Danny and how she got totally rejected (which wasn't surprising). But I hate how almost right after Corey fell in love with Maureen. Before you know it the two are makeing out. Also, I certainly hope the thing about Maureen just appearing and Corey practically jumping on her from the tractor was meant to be an exageration from Corey's mind, if not then lol!.
Back to top Go down
JoNaThAn_D2

JoNaThAn_D2

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 7:37 pm

The movie seems awfully familar, like I've seen it before even though I havn't. The accent in the movie made Court sound like Pork. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
d_shanklin95

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:01 pm

I liked the movie. I loved the facial expressions Danny made thoughout the film. I just found it really messed up what Maureen did to Danny she is supposed to be the big sister.

I really just want some chocolate pie and soup!!!

afro I keep it real.
Back to top Go down
Dno222

Dno222

Number of posts : 71

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:05 pm

rsantos92 wrote:
I was very surprised that Corey died in the end. I thought that the mom would have died giving birth to the baby, or when she fell. Because then Corey's family would have to help them out. After, Corey would fall in love with Moreen and they would accidentally have a child.
His name is Court, Did anyone besides myself notice that the tractor turned to the right after running him over? I mean when Court is about to grab his hat you can barely see that he is heading for a fence, then when his mother runs out its driving away from the fence. Is it just me or does the tractor have a mind of its own? confused Overall it was a good yet depressing movie and it had a lot of relevance to the book The Member of the Wedding. For instance they both ahd a young southern girl as the protagonist of the book/film. It was kind of gory when it showed Court covered in blood, but I've seen worse. If you looked closely he didn't really have any wounds. He was just covered in blood. I mean didn't go head first into the thing? Yet he had no marks on his face. I think they didn't want to much gore in that scene. Oh well afro
Back to top Go down
SteveF6

SteveF6

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:08 pm

Personally, I found this movie to be very similar to The Member of the Wedding. This was not because of the plots being similar but rather because of the main characters and the ending. This was due to the fact that both of the stupid girls were so wound up in their little dream worlds that they both believed that the impossible could happen while everyone else actually lived in reality. Also, both stories ended with the tragic death of one of the main characters. Actually, I thought that falling of the tractor and dying just to get your hat was more stupid than tragic, but that is just my point of view! Overall, I enjoyed watching the movie much more than reading the book.

P.S. The ending of the movie isn't sad, it's just stupid on the account of Court not having enough common sense to turn of the tractor before grabbing his hat.
P.S.S. What happened to the tractor and did the elder sister ever get pregnant?
Back to top Go down
CheyenneP6

CheyenneP6

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:35 pm

I thought that the movie was very good. It made you feel what the characters were feeling, and it made you so riled up inside that you just want to burst. Suprisely, my favorite character turns out to be Maureen. Usually I hate characters like her, and I do hate her, ( Laughing ) but I thought that she was the most realistic character of all. I also liked the father very much too. If I could, I would just totally rant on about how I hate so many of the characters, but I won't. But honestly, why couldn't the guy have just turned the tractor off, got his hat, and turned the tractor back on? It's not that hard!!

And I realize how irrational I am being. Sorry!!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/mavisbeacon3435
Joyceee6

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:49 pm

In my opinion the movie was a bit confusing. In the middle of the movie I began wonderin why the movie was called The Man In The Moon. The title seemed to have relevance only in the beging and the end. Anyways, it was a good movie.
Back to top Go down
NatSanchez27

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 9:43 pm

I thought Reese Witherspoon did an excellent job in this movie. I really liked this movie, but the ending was unexpected. This movie was just like the novel The Member of the Wedding, and im glad i got to watch it.
Back to top Go down
kayla2

kayla2

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 9:48 pm

I thought the movie was really good and I liked the main character. I thought it was weird when the guy died because it was really random and mostly stupidity on his part. I thought that it was sad that the sister was so selfish and didn't feel bad for her sister, when really it was more realistic for the kids of the same age to like eachother. Cort (Court/Corey/Pork/??) also gave her signs that he didnt really like her and that he thought she was just a kid.
Back to top Go down
Howard-san

Howard-san

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 10:19 pm

Anyway, I think that was a very strange film. I really didn't expect Court to die like that. I guess it's his fault for being such an idiot. It was weird how fast Court switched from Dani to her sister, and how Court started making out with Maureen so fast when she just broke up with someone else.
Back to top Go down
dur_its_jennifer

dur_its_jennifer

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 10:35 pm

I thought The Man in the Moon was a good movie. I was sad at the ending though because I felt really bad for both Dani and Maureen because they both lost someone that was speacial to them. I wasn't really sad that the guy died though. I thought his death was really gross though because he was all red from the blood. I was glad that Dani and Maureen got over their disagreement and became close sisters again. I thought Dani and Maureen had a really cool sisterly relationship. I think Dani was similar to Frankie from the Member of the Wedding because both characthers matured and grew up in the end. In Member of the Wedding, Frankie gets over her obsession about the wedding and stops pushing the people around her away. In The Man in the Moon, Dani gets mad at Maureen, but gets over it. She becomes the bigger person and forgives her older sister. She grew up from the beginning of the movie to the end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3)   POST:  "The Man in the Moon" (closes 10/3) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next