Seminar English Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seminar English Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to Seminar English

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+38
Dylan M Per. 3
spatterson
NatSanchez27
CCMoua3
katie3
H yhtomiT 6
CassieS2
misscassidym3
d_shanklin95
ananya_j
JustAustria
corinna004
KSakumoto6
SamC3
kellyiscool2
laurent_'10
NickNack3
aro3 *133t*
K. Hoffer 3
nicole3
dur_its_jennifer
SteveF6
itsyihong
KimLp.6
Kaaaaren6
Dno222
IanBunkerBoyz
Joyceee6
NickP6
kayla2
Howard-san
duyen821
jacqueleeny
rsantos92
CheyenneP6
JoNaThAn_D2
LanHuang
Admin
42 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2006-09-06

PostSubject: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 2:42 pm

Once you've completed "The Necklace," share a thought (or reaction) about this strange and famous story.

Last edited by on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://kelsoseminar.editboard.com
LanHuang

LanHuang

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 4:11 pm

That was a good ending, it means Losiel learned through her ten years of experience, kinda sucks to be her but well no matter she became a better person.
Back to top Go down
JoNaThAn_D2

JoNaThAn_D2

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 4:15 pm

I found the ending quite funny, though the story was quite strange. Guess old classics can still have its own place in reading.
Back to top Go down
CheyenneP6

CheyenneP6

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 4:45 pm

I enjoyed the twist at the end. I feel extremely sorry for Madame Loisel, but at the same time I feel like it is her fault in the first place.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/mavisbeacon3435
rsantos92

Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 5:30 pm

The twist at the end really surprised me. I feel really sorry for her, spending all that money for the replacement but really it doesn't cost that much. It was pretty funny though.
Back to top Go down
jacqueleeny

jacqueleeny

Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: The Necklace   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 5:39 pm

Wow! That's all I could say after reading "The Necklace". I guess, even in classic stories, karma is portrayed. If Madame Loisel had not been so unappreciative of what she had, and if she just listened to her husband and wore flowers instead of the necklace, the end wouldn't have been so sad. I think she deserved her fate because she brought it upon herself. However, I do pity Monsieur Loisel because he was a good man who made the most out of everything, and yet, he had to deal with the consequences brought upon him by his wife.
Back to top Go down
duyen821

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 5:55 pm

I agree that Monsieur Loisel didn't deserve the hard work for ten long years just to pay back his wife's debts. I definitely won't ever forget the story of The Necklace because of its surprising twist in the end.
Back to top Go down
Howard-san

Howard-san

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 6:11 pm

Hopefully, Mathilde can buy the real diamond necklace for 500 francs, sell it, and be semi-rich. She probably would've learned the real value of money (you need to work hard for it) by now and won't spend it on fancy clothes again.
Back to top Go down
kayla2

kayla2

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 6:17 pm

The long sentances in the story were hard to get used to. I couldnt imagine reading a whole book in that format.
Back to top Go down
NickP6

NickP6

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 6:34 pm

The longer sentences didnt really bother me since I dont pay that much attention to punctuation unless I'm reading aloud. Anyways, I agree with the previous quote about karma and her being punished for not appreciating what she had.

Also, did anyone wonder about where she lost the necklace? I think that it was stolen by the cab driver or something like that.
Back to top Go down
Joyceee6

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 6:41 pm

At first I thought the ending was weird then I found it intersting. In class when we were talking about the main character we depicted her as a troubled soul because she was poor. I think throughout the book she was quiet selfish and maybe she deserved to be in her situation. When she saw wealthy people she envied them because of their material belongings. She didn't see how they got there which was hard work. I guess a quote that can go with this story is "things are not always what they seem".
Back to top Go down
jacqueleeny

jacqueleeny

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 6:46 pm

NickP6 wrote:
The longer sentences didnt really bother me since I dont pay that much attention to punctuation unless I'm reading aloud. Anyways, I agree with the previous quote about karma and her being punished for not appreciating what she had.

Also, did anyone wonder about where she lost the necklace? I think that it was stolen by the cab driver or something like that.

I think that the necklace was dropped on the cab and either the driver kept it after he found it, or the next passenger found and kept it. Finders keepers, losers weepers...right?
Back to top Go down
IanBunkerBoyz

IanBunkerBoyz

Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Vanity and Pride   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 7:28 pm

I would hate to be Mathilde's husband, because he got her an invitation to a prestigious dinner, and instead of being thankful, she broked down crying because she didn't have a dress. She was too vain to wear a dress she already had, so she bought a new one, and she still wasn't happy. When she bought the necklace she finally was happy enough to go to the ball. When she lost the necklace she cared so much about her self image, and what her friend would think of her, that she went out and bought a new one. Mathilde brought the whole thing upon herself in my honest opinion.

By the way, what is the homework.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Registration date : 2006-09-06

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 7:34 pm

IanBunkerBoyz wrote:
I would hate to be Mathilde's husband, because he got her an invitation to a prestigious dinner, and instead of being thankful, she broked down crying because she didn't have a dress. She was too vain to wear a dress she already had, so she bought a new one, and she still wasn't happy. When she bought the necklace she finally was happy enough to go to the ball. When she lost the necklace she cared so much about her self image, and what her friend would think of her, that she went out and bought a new one. Mathilde brought the whole thing upon herself in my honest opinion.

By the way, what is the homework.

The homework was to read the story and take a look at our forum. You're done! Smile Mr. K
Back to top Go down
https://kelsoseminar.editboard.com
Dno222

Dno222

Number of posts : 71

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 8:04 pm

I agree with Ian, Mme. Loisel was very ungrateful for the invitation her husband had gotten for her.

She was very selfish and the ending was a big suprise, didn't know they made fake jewlery back then.
Back to top Go down
Kaaaaren6

Kaaaaren6

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 8:17 pm

Wow, I was so amazed at the end of the story. I felt pretty bad for Madame Loisel in the end, but then when I thought about it a little more, I felt she deserved it. Instead of lying to her best friend she could have just told her the truth. It's also pretty sad how her husband was dragged into the whole situation. She should appreciate all the things he does for her a little more.
Back to top Go down
KimLp.6

KimLp.6

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 9:04 pm

I think that it's mostly Mme. Loisel's fault for the whole thing. If she just value what she got, it wouldn't have happened. However, it's understandable because everyone have desire and no one wants to be poor the rest of their life.
Even though in the end, Mme. Loisel had to work hard and grew poorer, the one thing that she gained was valuable, a lesson in life.
Oh, and I'm just curious to know what happened after that? Is her friend going to give her back the necklace or how's she gonna deal with it? Question Question
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/azn_skoolgyrl
itsyihong

itsyihong

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 9:23 pm

The ending of "The Necklace" was really surprising. Mme Loisel and her husband had to work so hard to replace a necklace that they thought was made of real diamonds. I feel sorry for Mme Loisel because she just wanted to know what it was like to live a life of luxury. Everybody gets jealous sometimes. However, I think she went too far when she put her happiness ahead of others, like her husband. She definitely should have been grateful because she had a husband and bestfriend who cared about her a lot, and just wanted to help her. That's something money can't buy.
Back to top Go down
SteveF6

SteveF6

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 9:45 pm

Personally, after reading the short story "The Necklace" for the second time I still find that the story mainly had to deal with the karma that Mdm. Loisel placed upon herself through her evidently greedy actions. In fact, I believe that she deserved the consequences she recieved from her actions. However, I do not believe M. Loisel had to be tortured like she was because he was trying to be a good husband, while he let his wife be driven by envy and greed. Overall, I did not enjoy the story that much, but I still do hold it in respect as a famous classical short story for it was very well written.
Back to top Go down
dur_its_jennifer

dur_its_jennifer

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2006 10:36 pm

Wow. That was a really interesting ending. I really thought that something good was going to happen to Madame Loisel at the party. I guess the ending is what makes this short story so famous. I think this story teaches us some life lessons like for example, be honest to your friends. If Madame Loisel would have told her friend, Madame Forestier that she had lost her necklace in the first place, both her and husband wouldn't have paid the price of lying. Also another lesson to be learned is that to be grateful for what you already have. It is okay to daydream and wish your life was the way you wanted it to be, but you shouldn't be so obsessive about it. If she had looked on the bright side of things, she would have seen how much her husband really cares about her. Even if he was just a clerk, he was a good man. I feel really bad for him because what he had to do for his wife.
Back to top Go down
nicole3

nicole3

Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2006 3:56 pm

I thought the story was really good, but i think the ending was pretty predictable. I think if Madame Loisel told her friend Madame Forestier that she had lost the necklace in the first place, she would have been able to avoid doing all of the hard work for so many years.
Back to top Go down
K. Hoffer 3

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2006 4:15 pm

I thought the ending was pretty good but the story was a little unrealistic. If I had lost a valuable necklace, I probably would have told my friend rather than work for 10 years. If that person if a true friend they would understand and forgive you, and if they did not forgive you, I would rather lose one friend than the next 10 years of my life. I don't think that Loisel should have wasted valuable years of her life, but should have just told her friend and hoped she forgave her.
Back to top Go down
aro3 *133t*

aro3 *133t*

Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2006 4:39 pm

good ending but i saw it coming. you dont build all that up then just end it, i knew there had to be some big climax.
Back to top Go down
NickNack3

NickNack3

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2006 8:28 pm

Thats stor wasn't all that great, and I DID laugh at the end as I predicted. It looks like I am a cruel heartless psychopath whos going to be a serial killer when i grow up Suspect . Frankly the women was pretty clueless to "borrow" a 10 year debt necklace. Even if it was a fake.
Back to top Go down
laurent_'10

laurent_'10

Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2006 3:35 pm

After reading this short story, I didn't pity Mathilde at all. She was only narcissistic and thought of no one but herself. She only strived for extreme adulation and nothing was good enough for her. She deserved to lose the necklace and face the harsh consequences. When Mathilde meets the woman who owned the necklace in the park, she blames her for her misfortune. And it seems that even after ten years of being a pauper, she learned absolutely nothing.

Last edited by on Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Necklace (once you've read it)   POST:  The Necklace (once you've read it) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next