Seminar English Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seminar English Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to Seminar English

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+42
kellyiscool2
d_shanklin95
Dylan M Per. 3
spatterson
aaron the great
Joyceee6
misscassidym3
DRESZ21!
Howard-san
itsyihong
flavorflavia
alyang
NatSanchez27
dmoyer
NickNack3
laurent_'10
rsantos92
SteveF6
nicole3
LanHuang
ananya_j
HomeboyPWalb
JustAustria
Dno222
corinna004
mchu
dur_its_jennifer
KimLp.6
SamC3
Kaaaaren6
omgzzANGELA.
CassieS2
jacqueleeny
allylovebasketball
NickP6
ceckelman
CheyenneP6
Ka-KovaMiss6T
KSakumoto6
Nodrog1221
K. Hoffer 3
Admin
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
rsantos92

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2006-09-07

POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 4:48 pm

The main bad guy of this novel is, of course, Mr. Murdstone. He the evil step father of David Copperfield. He has done every evil thing to David and the family. David has been beaten and isolated. Murdstone even fired the only other person to love David, Peggoty. No one would want Murdstone as a step father.
Back to top Go down
laurent_'10

laurent_'10

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 5:26 pm

One particular character I am very interested by is Aunty Betsey. David had run all the way to Dover in hopes of finding her, even when he didn’t know of her whereabouts, and had been through a lot of stress trying to make it to Dover. He had to sell his waistcoat and jacket for money to eat, and was robbed. So, after all that, David finally found Aunty Betsy’s home. Just after she had told him to go away because there were “no boys allowed”, David walked up to his aunt and said, “If you please, aunt”. Aunt Betsey looked down at him and said “EH?” I laughed. I thought that was pretty amusing because I can just imagine Aunty Betsey trying to comprehend that her nephew, whom she was absolutely disgusted with at the time of his birth, was there standing on her front lawn.
Later, when Mr. and Miss Murdstone came to talk to Aunt Betsey regarding the situation of David, I noticed how willing Aunt Betsey was to take care of him. I thought it was so kind of Aunt Betsey to take David in, and because of her, David’s life was full of so many more opportunities. He was then sent to school at Canterbury, where he received the education he would never have gotten if he had went back with the Mudstone’s. Aunt Betsey had obviously changed, and because so, she made David’s life even more worthy. I think Aunt Betsey is a great character. She is always generally positive and funny. I laughed every time Aunt Betsey said “Janet! Donkeys!” I am also so amazed by how quickly David is growing up! By the end of chapter nineteen, David’s education was finishing, and he was seventeen! When I’m reading about David’s life, it is almost as if I’m right there in the story with him as he’s learning more, changing, and growing up.
Back to top Go down
NickNack3

NickNack3

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 6:33 pm

The Micawbers are supposed to represent Charles' own family. They are both poor families, with many children. Both are always waiting for something to "turn up". Just as Dickens' own mother never left his father, Mrs. Micawber will "Never desert" Mr. Micawber. Though they are poor, they act like an upper class family, and Mr. Micawber talks sophisticated. Dicken's family may have been the same. Dicken's family was always nice to him, and treated him kindly. The Micawbers treat David kindly as well.
Back to top Go down
dmoyer

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2006-11-06

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 6:51 pm

The event of Mrs. Macawber moving out of the house to the jail put David in the first independent status in his life. He was no longer watched over by adults, his survival now depended on himself entirely, at around age ten. A bit like Dickens, he joined the workforce at an extreamly young age, but where as Dickens had the company watching out for him, David has no one, no relation he cares for, and no relation that cares for him nearby. It surely awakened him to the wider world and the worries of the working class. Even after the Macawbers returned and announced their intent to move, one of his first thoughts was about the location of his next residence.
Back to top Go down
NatSanchez27

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 7:23 pm

After reading some of David Copperfield i have noticed a big change in Betsy Trotwood. In the beginning of the book, it seemed like she was against the birth of David, because she hated men; but when David went to go live with her, she started to accept him. I thought this was a major change in the book, and i've come to have more respect for Mrs. Trotwood.
Back to top Go down
alyang

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 8:42 pm

David Copperfield has experienced many difficult times during his childhood. He had to deal with Mr. and Miss Murdstone and his mother dying. He had to work at a very young age and he was supposed to look out for himself. A lot of good experiences came out from his experiences; he met with great people like Steerforth and Mr. and Mrs. Micawber. If he never would of gotten sent to work, then he would of never ran to his Aunt Betsy's, which would of ended the story. In the story so far, David has suffered many heartbreaks. He liked Miss Larkins, but she married another guy. The same went with Little Emily. I thought David was going to end up marry Emily, but when he returne to Yarmouth, he found out that she was married to another guy already.
Back to top Go down
flavorflavia

flavorflavia

Registration date : 2006-09-17

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2006 9:11 pm

I like how the novel portrays David as he grows up. In other novels you only get to experience a certain time in ones life, but in this one you get to grow along with David. I admire David for everything he's gone through. Losing both parents and having to deal with the Murdstone is reason enough to want to give up in life. I think that if it wasn't for Peggotty, he might have. My favorite character besides David, would be Steerforth. I think Steerforth is a good model for David. Steerforth also has a tendency to be very good with words, which i think is a good quality to have. I'm really enjoying this novel and am anxious to see what happens next.
Back to top Go down
itsyihong

itsyihong

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2006 8:20 pm

An important character in David Copperfield is James Steerforth. He is a sneaky older boy David met at his old school. He is very handsome and charming, and seems to cast a spell on everyone he meets. David thinks he is very cool, and was tricked into giving Steerforth his money. David thinks Steerforth is a good friend because he offers to protect and guide David. Behind Steerforth's deceiving charm, he is really manipulative and selfish. He uses others for his own personal gain, and ends up looking like a hero. For example, after he made fun of Mr. Mell and even got him fired, the other students still thought he was a good person because he said he would have his mom send money to Mr. Mell. I wonder if David will ever realize what kind of person Steerforth really is?

Last edited by on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Howard-san

Howard-san

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2006 8:29 pm

Mrs. Betsy Trotwood is a very interesting character. I expected her to disappear for the entire story after she saw David Copperfield as a baby because of the line "[Mrs. Betsy Trotwood Copperfield] vanished like a discontented fairy; or like one of those super natural beings whom it was popularly supposed I was entitled to see; and never came back any more."

I was surprised when she took David in and raised him. She seemed like a crazy old lady at the beginning of the book, but is actually a very different person. I should have guessed she would return with a larger role since her actor in the movie is supposed to be famous.
Back to top Go down
DRESZ21!

DRESZ21!

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2006 6:21 pm

I think Aunt Betsey is a very interesting character. I really didn't think I was going to see her again in this book, but I was wrong. Aunt Betsey seems to have changed a lot. Although she still likes girls better, she loves "Trotwood" Copperfield. She seems to be a good person in heart, but in the beggining of this book she didn't seem that way. Now near the middle of the book we find how she is suvh a good-hearted women. We especially find this out when she tells David about how she saved Mr. Dick from going to an asylum.
Back to top Go down
misscassidym3

misscassidym3

Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: paragraph   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 29, 2006 10:13 pm

The Micawbers are two fascinating characters from David Copperfield. They are very devoted to each other and their family. Mrs. Micawber is a compassionate woman who is desperate to have a better lifestyle. However, Mr. Micawber does not take any action in order to get what he wants. He is always talking about 'when something comes up,' but it never does because he doesn't take any action to make that happen. He and his wife are very concerned about the waytheir position appears to others, and try to hide the fact that they are in debt. They seem like unhappy people because all their money is spent trying to appear more well-off, but they are happy with each other. Even though they continually move to try and start a new lifestyle, they never get out of the same situation.
Back to top Go down
Joyceee6

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 29, 2006 10:15 pm

The book David Copperfield is a very symbolic book which plays a major role in the storyline. For example, the death of Clara represented the death of David's childhood. Mr. Murdstone represented the thorns in David's perfect life. The journey to Aunt Betsy by foot represented an obstacle that Daivd had to cross. Also, David's new name, Trotwood signified David in his early teen life.
Back to top Go down
aaron the great

aaron the great

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 29, 2006 11:16 pm

In the novel David Copperfield, the most interesting character to me is Mr. Dick. Mr. Dick lives with Aunt Betsey, and is also one of the few men that she trusts. He is constantly trying to write a Memorial about his life, but the voice of King Charles the First keeps speaking to him in his head. Mr. Dick is a very charming character, and is almost like a kid stuck in an old man's body because he always wants to fly his kite. Even though he is a little bit crazy, Mr. Dick still has a lot of common sense, and Betsey is always looking to him to make decisions.
Back to top Go down
spatterson

spatterson

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2006 8:57 pm

Mr. and Ms. Murdstone are not friendly or nice people. I think that the way the author has chosen to describe them makes them scary. They are not nice to Clara, David or Peggotty. The word "firmness" is used a lot to describe Edward and Jane Murdstone and how they want and force Clara to act towards David. Clara does have one outburst where she tells her husband that she would only like to be "consulted" before things are done. At this point Jane tells Edward repeatedly that she will leave the next day, but Mr. Murdstone won't hear of it and the entire outburst of Clara's character only makes Mr. and Ms. Murdstone harsher on her and David.
Back to top Go down
Dylan M Per. 3

Dylan M Per. 3

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2006 7:04 pm

I think that an important scene in David Copperfield was when his mom died because it was a turning point in the novel even though it was in the very beginning. When David's mom was still alive he still loved her, but Peggotty seemed to serve as the mother figure for him. When his mom was alive David felt he was somewhat betrayed when his mom married Mr. Murdstone, but inside he still knew he had to love and care for her. When his mom died though, David no longer had her and he didnt have his real mom to care for. This scene right away strengthened the relationship between David and Peggotty because when Davids mom died he was left with nobody to turn to other than Peggotty.
Back to top Go down
d_shanklin95

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2006 5:47 pm

I find it militant how Clara just sat there and let Murdstone all up her in her crib instructiong like he owned stuff. I wish I would let some guy I just married and his sister into my house making rules and he beats David if i was David D would have bit him too hitting me with some whip he made him sit in that room for like 7 days that is not "firmness" that is abuse and they don't feed him if I was David I would leave with Peggoty straight up its the moms fault formarrying dude anyway I blame her. Then they sent him off to school so the teacher could beat him for not reading. the day a teacher touches me is the day things pop off.
Back to top Go down
kellyiscool2

kellyiscool2

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2006 8:21 pm

The scene that interests me the most is the showdown between the headstrong Betsey Trotwood and the callous Jane Murdstone. They are brought together as a result of David's valorous escape from the Murdstones' authority, which is viewed differently by both characters. Each of the two characters is extremely stubborn, stern, and are in no way willing to give in to the other's opinion. The Murdstones suggest David's immaturity is what compelled him to run away, but Aunt Betsey refuses to believe the lie. Instead, she boldly states the truth. Her words are countered with various crude sarcastic remarks on the part of Miss Murdstone, but they do not seem to phase Aunt Betsey one bit. I found it alluring that Aunt Betsey, who has proven to be the more compassionate of the two, was able to direct the quarrel to her advantage and leave Miss Murdstone with no choice but to storm out in discontent.
Back to top Go down
Dno222

Dno222

Number of posts : 71

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 8:34 pm

I found it intresting that Mr Murdstone would even bother getting David back. I mean he hated David and wanted to get him out of his sight yet he came to Miss Trottwood's house to round him up. Probably to have him sent to an orphange or to the factory again but farther away. Mr. Murdstone should of just replied saying " Keep' em"
Back to top Go down
badrummike

badrummike

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2006 6:45 pm

I really enjoy the character Steerforth in David Copperfield. Everyone in the book, and even the reader, can reckognize that Steerforth is an extremely bad influence on David's ignorant mind (even once he owns his own house). He even causes disruption in the Yarmouth house as he basically steals little Emily from Ham when she runs away with him to 'live life.' Steerforth also helps show the reader the powerful relationship of Agnes and David when he throws the party at David's home. David is having a great time but when Agnes tells him the next day that Steerforth is a bad influence on her, David listens and makes an attempt to put Steerforth from his mind for several weeks. Agnes was really the first one to outright tell David about Steerforth's influence and hold over him.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
bheil

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2006-09-21

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2006 4:47 pm

Mr. Dick is a wonderful character who brings a lot to the story. His childness brings out some of David's character that had been supressed for so long with the Murdstone's. He coulnd't really be a kid, because at home he was harassed my Mr. and Mrs. Murdstone's disapproval, and the factory experience sucked the joy from his life. David doesn't really get to play, have fun, and be a kid until he reaches Aunt Betsey and Mr. Dick. There, Mr. Dick's good intentions, and kind youthfulness prove to be the perfect friend for David. If it weren't for Mr. Dick and his kite, David would be a very depressed young man.
Back to top Go down
JoNaThAn_D2

JoNaThAn_D2

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2006 10:01 pm

A key event that makes a complete turnaround for the story was when Aunt Betsy took David in, protecting him from the wrath of the Murdstones. If Aunt Betsy never took David in, the story would be different; maybe mostly about him complaining about how terrible his life is.
Back to top Go down
duyen821

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2006 6:30 pm

I thought an important thing they believed in back then was discipline. It seemed like people such as Mr. Murdstone were willing to do anything to discipline "bad" children like David Copperfield. I was absolutely against how they beat children. It was bad because when people like Mr. Murdstone beat David for not memorizing his work he beat him with all his strength with all his anger. This isn't fair to children who are very young and little. Did he actually think David would improve? By making David afraid of him it would most likely make him forget again the next time. I thought it was also unfair how Mr. Creakle hit David in class, sometimes teachers could just abuse their authority and hit kids just because they don't like them. It seems wrong. Were girls treated this way too? I'm glad school don't allow teachers to do it anymore, it would be considered abuse. I feel bad for the way David was treated, I think he should have gotten at least a warning the first time around because even the best of people make mistakes sometime.
Back to top Go down
corinna004

corinna004

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2006 10:32 pm

So David Copperfield has been a very good and fun book to read. I thought at the begining though that it was pretty depressing beucase David Copperfield is such a sweet innocent kid and he is having a bunch of horrible stuff happen to him. But, after he was taken into custody by his Aunt Betsey Trotwood. After that happened I had a good feeling that things would definently turn around for David and sure enough they did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Share a paragraph about David Copperfield   POST:  Share a paragraph about David Copperfield - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2