Seminar English Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seminar English Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to Seminar English

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+44
mel.per6.35
katie3
ceckelman
KSakumoto6
d_shanklin95
KimLp.6
HomeboyPWalb
duyen821
aaron the great
CCMoua3
itsyihong
rsantos92
DRESZ21!
CassieS2
alyang
LanHuang
nicole3
bheil
IanBunkerBoyz
badrummike
ananya_j
H yhtomiT 6
aro3 *133t*
NickP6
SteveF6
omgzzANGELA.
flavorflavia
Dylan M Per. 3
Howard-san
Kaaaaren6
jacqueleeny
spatterson
NatSanchez27
kellyiscool2
laurent_'10
dur_its_jennifer
JustAustria
corinna004
SamC3
allylovebasketball
Nodrog1221
K. Hoffer 3
Dno222
Admin
48 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
IanBunkerBoyz

IanBunkerBoyz

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2006-09-07

POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: First Response   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2006 7:05 pm

I thought it was really odd how she was sleeping with a guy in her bed, and rubbing his stomach. She is definitely an outcast from society, which is obvious because the kids she used to hang out with rejected her, and they have parties without her. She has a pesimistic view towards people in general, which is most likely a result of the fact she has no friends, except for a seven year old, and a "35" year old nanny. I predict that, because the only conflict I see so far is the fact that she is unaccepted, she may make her way to popularity. This is only a guess.
Back to top Go down
bheil

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2006-09-21

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2006 2:27 pm

The book takes place in the South, and is told from the point of view of a twelve year old girl named Frankie. Frankie is a very interseting character, who is having a lot of emotional problems. These problems start when her brother returns from Alaska with his bride-to-be. When Frankie sees the happy couple for the first time, she is filled with a mixture of jealousy and longing. Because of this feeling, she plots to improve her life, which starts the real problems.
Back to top Go down
nicole3

nicole3

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2006-09-08

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2006 4:32 pm

So far in this story, the author has really made it clear that Frankie doesn't fit in. She is upset that her brother is gettting married, and is really jealous of him and his fiance. Her only real friend is her younger cousin John Henry. Everyday Frankie stays at her home with Berenice, who is like a mother to Frankie. Frankie is tired of her house, and wants to go somewhere exciting. She told Berenice she is going to run away, but I predict she will change her mind.
Back to top Go down
LanHuang

LanHuang

Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2006 4:51 pm

In the beginning I like how the author sets the scene. You are introduced to Frankie, who doesn't fit in and you get a good feel for the setting. The beginning of the book was sort of slow and there seemed to be little plot in the beginning.
Back to top Go down
alyang

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2006 5:43 pm

frankie is a depressed girl who can't seem to fit in. she has high hopes, but i dont think what she is hoping for is going to happen. the author is building a lot of suspense when she writes about Frankie going all over town telling her about Jarvis and Janice's wedding. There is a little foreshadowing in this book.
Back to top Go down
CassieS2

CassieS2

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2006 6:19 pm

I love how Carson McCullers introduces the characters in the begining of the novel. Three pages into the story and we know each character, plus something about them. Bernice is introduced with her blue eye, John Henry is associated with his lamb necklace, and we get the feeling Frankie doesn't have any friends her age. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
DRESZ21!

DRESZ21!

Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2006 6:32 pm

I thought the beginning was great. The descriptions of the characters were amazing. Without the early descriptions this book would'nt have been so good. You need something in the beginning to catch your interest in every book.
Back to top Go down
rsantos92

Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2006 7:10 pm

That's true. I was very interested in the different characters. The author gave indepth descriptions of each one.
Back to top Go down
itsyihong

itsyihong

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2006 7:37 pm

My first reaction to the book was that it was very descriptive. The author paints a picture so clearly with her words, I can almost see the "cement [that] burned and glittered like glass," like my mind. (McCullers, 1) The author also used many details in describing the characters. I felt like I knew each character personally. The author's writing style definitely made the book very intriguing right from the beginning.

Last edited by on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CCMoua3

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2006 7:43 pm

The main three characters shown in the book so far have been Frankie, John Henry, and Berenice. Although others are mentioned,, there is no written dialogue or direct interaction with them. Frankie seems to be an oddly inquisitive preteen questioning her role and place in life. She realizes that she was a nobody who didn't quite belong, and that sets off the mood for the beginning of the novel. It makes the scenes seem dark and depressing at times, and makes it seem as if life in her town in anything but exciting or fun. John Henry seems to be a character of childish honesty and frankness. When he speaks, he gives truthful responses and rational questions. With him being a six year old child it gives him a more innocent feel to the conversation and the setting. Berenice is a one of a kind example of maternal care and love. Because she isn't Frankie or John Henry's mother, she doesn't patronize or overly mothers them. But she acts as a voice of reason and reliability, even when Frankie makes comments that are considered rude. Those three characters devised in the book are all very different and have unique views and ideas, but all fit nicely as a group.
Back to top Go down
aaron the great

aaron the great

Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2006 7:56 pm

In the story, the character named Frankie seemed to be a very unhappy little girld. She did have friends like John Henry, but she still seemed very depressed. It was interesting when she invided John Henry to spend the niht and just have him sit in the corner when he wanted to go outside and play with all the other kids. It was also strange how Frankie was so forceful when saying she didn't want to go outside. To me, she seems like she is going to be an interesting character in the rest of the book.
Back to top Go down
duyen821

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2006 11:20 am

My first reaction when I read this book was that it kind of reminded me of gone with the wind. Berenice reminded me of Mammy, they both were very wise and knowledgeable and helped take care of the main characters. I really liked the beginning of the book because it was so descriptive of everything and so it helped me put a picture in my mind of the setting and characters.
Back to top Go down
HomeboyPWalb

HomeboyPWalb

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2006-09-19

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2006 3:24 pm

After reading only a few pages:

Frankie seems very jealous about her brother getting married. I wonder if there will be a conflict or a plot by Frankie to try to stop the wedding. On the cover of this book it seems as if Frankie is crying and Berenice is trying to help her. Frankie seems like she really wants to leave town. I wonder if she will leave town with the maid. I got this idea from the travel bag she is sitting on. Most likely, with her obsession with weddings, she will eventually find a man and get married. I also believe there is a deeper meaning for John Henry. I don't know why, but I believe there is a deeper meaning to his character.

I think I ended up being right on a few of my ideas about howI thought the book would end.
Back to top Go down
KimLp.6

KimLp.6

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2006 4:19 pm

After I read the book, I think it was good, but then in the beginning, I thought it was a little boring. The author keep on describing how the character is, but as the story goes, the story start to get together. So that was my first responseto the book.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/azn_skoolgyrl
d_shanklin95

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2006 10:37 pm

I kept thinking about eyes they seem like a big theme in the book. They play an important part to understanding how a character feels sort of like a peep into their soul. Frankies eyes changed colors, Berenice said they changed because she was jealous. Frankie tried on John Henry glasses she couldn't see anything and she couldn't understand anything kind of how John Henry himself could not be understood. Berenice has one blue glass and regular brown eye it shows some division in her life between living free or settling down with T. T.
Back to top Go down
NickP6

NickP6

Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2006 9:06 am

I'm not sure why, but i reallly dislike Frankie. This is because she completely under appreciates Berenice and John Henry. Also, she's always off in her own world, and compulsively does very foolish things. The point were i least liked her was when she threatened Berenice with a knife.
Back to top Go down
KSakumoto6

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2006 4:15 pm

This book is about a young girl named Frankie who is going through an awkward stage in her life. She lives with her father, her cook named Bernice Sadie Brown, and sometimes her cousin John Henry West. It has been a long summer, and Frankie is so restless that during the summer she did some very bad things like stealing. She is trying to fit in with people, but since she just got rejected by the local club for neighborhood girls, she is feeling lonesome and sorry for herself.
Back to top Go down
ceckelman

ceckelman

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2006-09-21

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2006 8:48 pm

Frankie is a girl who doesn't fit in. In the book, it's apparent that she has some personality issues, for example, in the beginning of the book, she has only Bernice and John Henry for friends, and despises the people her and their "club". She wants to grow up quick because she does not like to be a kid. She doesn't give her actions much thought, and she is very irrational, especially when she decides to run away. I think that Frankie is a person who does not know what she wants.
Back to top Go down
http://bakagamer.homeip.net
katie3

katie3

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2006 9:37 pm

Frankie seems very confused lately. I think that she is going to do something drastic at the wedding and then try to runaway, judging from the cover. I also think berenice is going to stop her. it seems berenice loves frankie more than her actual family. Frankie seems to be jealous of Jarvin's fiancee because she is no longer going to be the number one woman in her brother's life.

that was before i read the whole thing my 1st response word for word. that is what we were supposed to post right?
Back to top Go down
mel.per6.35

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2006-09-13

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2006 7:34 am

Question 1

The question was: What feeling did the work awaken in you? This book happened to have a lot of negative feelings. Surprisingly though it brought out my optimistic side more. To try and keep out the negative feelings I had to think more optimistically. On account of me being in an optimistic mood most the time I sided more with Bernice and John Henry. Frankie was too pessimistic and spiteful for my taste.
Back to top Go down
CheyenneP6

CheyenneP6

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:18 pm

In my opinion, Frankie is desperate from attention. She commits crimes to get attention, and she thinks that this is the only way she can get what she wants. She's afraid of losing her brother so she decides to move in with them after they get married. She doesn't see that there are other ways to become friends with people.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/mavisbeacon3435
Joyceee6

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:43 pm

The Member of the Wedding starts out with a teenage girl named Frankie whose not like most other girls. She isn't very friendly and social to anybody except to her cousin John Henry and Bernice. She starts out as a very bitter girl hating everything about her boring life. But, what she doesn't know is that sonner rather than later her life will make a one hundred eighty degree turn.
Back to top Go down
crystaln

crystaln

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:51 pm

Near the beginning of the book, I felt that I could relate to Frankie on her struggles of not being a member. Likewise, I had trouble fitting in with my peers. One of the traits we shared was our insecurities with our height. Frankie was ashamed of how tall she was, and of the rapid rate she was growing. I was very short, and hated my height too. During the summer, Frankie avoided social activities that would make her interact with the other kids, maybe because she feared they would see her as a freak like she saw herself. I also kept my distance from events that would have me socialize with other kids, but mostly because I was shy. As a result, I usually stayed at home for most of the summer, like Frankie did. And when I'd see something interesting happen to someone else, such as Frankie with the wedding, I was more prone to growing bored of my own life, and wished for something exciting to happen to me, like Frankie did after she heard about the wedding.
Back to top Go down
B. Truitt 3

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2006 10:44 pm

After reading approximately half of part one of the novel, it is clear that Carson McCullers portrays the protagonist, Frankie Adams, as a lonely and confused character undergoing emotional and psychological turbulence. Frankie can only associate with a few individuals and is not a member of any group in society. She constantly complains about her life and loneliness, and how much she desires to escape the town. When she is informed of her brother's wedding, she realizes that she will be a member of the wedding, and have something in common to associate with others related to the wedding. She plans to escape with her brother and his bride and is convinced that they will be happy for the rest of their lives
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30)   POST:  The Member of the Wedding -- First Response (9/30) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2