Seminar English Forum at SRHS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seminar English Forum at SRHS

Discussing All Things Related to Seminar English

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+43
kellyiscool2
Howard-san
KimLp.6
katie3
dur_its_jennifer
itsyihong
kayla2
alyang
ananya_j
laurent_'10
misscassidym3
CassieS2
aro3 *133t*
H yhtomiT 6
allylovebasketball
NatSanchez27
nicole3
SteveF6
CheyenneP6
Dno222
JoNaThAn_D2
NickP6
duyen821
rsantos92
JustAustria
omgzzANGELA.
KSakumoto6
DRESZ21!
NickNack3
IanBunkerBoyz
corinna004
Ka-KovaMiss6T
SamC3
jacqueleeny
Dylan M Per. 3
Nodrog1221
CCMoua3
K. Hoffer 3
HomeboyPWalb
Kaaaaren6
flavorflavia
LanHuang
Admin
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JustAustria

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-09-08

POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 5:02 pm

Something interesting I learned was that there were two ships that got destroyed by the German U-boats even before the Lusitania was sunk. That made me wonder why the British didn't warn the Lusitania about the other two ships, and if the Lusitania didn't sink, would the Americans have joined the war?
Back to top Go down
rsantos92

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 5:02 pm

Crazy to think that the second World War could have been avoided. If only Private Henry Tandey shot Hitler that time. It's a little ironic though, how a person with so many awards let the next war happen. The private recieved many awards, and was almost knighted, however he let the next villain live. But I think it was noble of him to let a wounded soldier go, even if he was an enemy.
Back to top Go down
duyen821

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 6:25 pm

wow this site was sooooo cool! It really helped inform me about WWI and gave me a deeper understanding of it. What i thought was interesting was that WWI was like the beginning of when women started to have some rights. Since women contributed so much to the war afterwards women over thirty were given the right to vote. I thought that was pretty cool. I was also reading about how women like Dorothy Lawrence disguised themselves to become soldiers and I thought that was really brave. Something else that I thought was really cool about the site was that at the bottom there would always be this grey box that had an interesting fact about WWI like how a wibble wobble was slang for tanks.
Back to top Go down
NickP6

NickP6

Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 7:19 pm

Heh, I decided to look up about poisen gas, and i have to say, this site has a lot of info about it. For example, before World War 1, they really didn't have poisen gas shells, , but the French started with tear gas. After a lot of research for more and more potent gases though, poisen gas was made. Soon after, everyone started making use gas to attack during trench warfare. Altogether there were more than 90,000 deaths caused by poisen gass, and hundreds of thousands other casualties from it.
Back to top Go down
JoNaThAn_D2

JoNaThAn_D2

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 7:35 pm

I found out that WW1 inspired alot of writing and poetry of combatants. I'm going to have this bookmarked for history.
Back to top Go down
Dno222

Dno222

Number of posts : 71

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:13 pm

I noticed that the Usa propaganda posters revolved mostly around the food. I mean the most posters say to send bread, meat, wheat, and other basic foods to the troops to supply them. One poster said "Food is Ammunition"
Back to top Go down
Dno222

Dno222

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:15 pm

HomeboyPWalb wrote:
Woah!!! I was amazed to see that the Germans used religion in their propaganda. You have to see this!!!

http://www.firstworldwar.com/posters/images/pp_ger_08.jpg
Jesus Christ!! lol! I can't believe they would use religon to black mail people who didn't join the army. Making people believe that God wants you to fight and if you don't then your a heretic.
Back to top Go down
Dno222

Dno222

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:23 pm

I can't believe that they used bayonets just like in the revoultionary war. :shock:Also I didn't know that flamethrowers and grenades were used back then. Also that they had two types of grenades. One had a timed fuse, while the other blew up on contact. I can see why they used the timed one more often. The ones that blew up on contact were dangerous because just by dropping or squeezing a grenade too hard would cause it to explode and take out you and others around you.
Back to top Go down
CheyenneP6

CheyenneP6

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:29 pm

I found an article explaining how World War I affected Hitler and shaped his view points about the second World War. Usually when we think of Hitler, we think of a major antagonist and how evil he is. We never stop to think of why he became that way. He felt that his country was stabbed in the back by its allies, and he felt inraged the people of society wouldn't recognize his talents and teachings. I am not saying that Hitler was a good man, but if you look closely you can almost see where his viewpoints were coming from.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/mavisbeacon3435
SteveF6

SteveF6

Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 8:54 pm

I, being a fan of weaponry, learned amazing facts from this website. For starters, I found it very odd that the German flamethowers, or Flammenwerfer, were actually used effectively even with their short range. Basically, I found it insane that they actually could get close enough without being shot down by the long range rifles and blow up. I also found that the original flamethrowers were made in the 5'th century B.C.! Another weird fact I learned was that tanks were named that because they looked like water carriers. In fact, I now find tanks lamer than I used to because they were named after such items. Finally, I found it weird that even though the tanks were found to be fairly succesful, the Germans only created twenty of their own rather than completely stealing the idea, as is typical in most wars. All in all, I found this website very interesting, and I believe I will bookmark it to learn more later.
Back to top Go down
nicole3

nicole3

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 9:48 pm

After looking at the website I decided to read about the poster propaganda used at this time. I thought it was really intersting how Britain used posters to try to get people to join the military. The posters made war sound fun, where the reality was that war was very serious and not fun at all. I though it was interesting how the posters were not only used to recruit men, but were also a way to lure people into contributing money.
Back to top Go down
NatSanchez27

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 9:52 pm

As i looked over this site, i was amazed by how much information was contained. I learned a lot about how it started, and why. I found that it was mostly caused by "one thing that led to another," and it wasn't just one main point that started the war. It was moslty based on "alliances," and this upset the different countries.
Back to top Go down
allylovebasketball

allylovebasketball

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2006 10:03 pm

It seemed like the smaller countries sacrificed their men going to war for political protection. With all of the countries having ties to other countries forming a chain, the war grew and became more significant.
Back to top Go down
H yhtomiT 6

H yhtomiT 6

PostSubject: World War I   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2006 1:00 am

I read the section on trench warfare to understand more about the daily conditions Paul experienced during the war. I found it very interesting that many of the causes of casualties were not combat-related but instead, the result of the poor living conditions in the trenches. For example, about fifteen percent of the casualties were caused by trench fever. Even worse, about 97% of the soldiers who lived in trenches in some way were afflicted with lice. To add to the myriad of discomforting aspects of trench life, I also learned about trench foot and the other living creatures that accompany you in the trenches.

After reading about the barbed wire and patrols in no man's land, I read about the poison gas used in the war. It’s surprising to look at the amounts of people from each nation who died from poison gas. I also learned about chlorine and mustard gas used in the war. There were pictures of vanguards loading a mortar with poison gas and it was interesting to look at the masks that they were wearing. One of these mortars could have penetrated trench defenses, as they provided little protection against artillery fire, and devastate an entire section with mustard gas. It was also interesting to learn that it was dangerous to assault and capture a trench after you fired poison gas at it. You had to wait until it was safe and that gave the enemy time to retaliate. I also wondered how the corpse-retrievers felt like when they were examining the dead bodies in order separate them into piles. Who would want to do that?
Back to top Go down
aro3 *133t*

aro3 *133t*

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2006 4:48 pm

I thought that it was interesting and funny that the first tanks went 2 to 3 miles per hour and now they can go 60 mph. ii wonder how they covered all the distance to the battle front.
Back to top Go down
CassieS2

CassieS2

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-09-10

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2006 6:07 pm

I had no idea that Hitler was almost killed in WW1, but was spared! Henry Tandey had his gun aimed and ready to shoot when the Hitler turned and looked at him, defeat on his face. Henry Tadney couldn't bring himself to kill a wounded man and let Hitler limp away. Tadney lived to be an extrodinary Sargent winning many medals of honor...but could you just imagine if he pulled the trigger and killed Hitler?
Back to top Go down
misscassidym3

misscassidym3

Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: ww1   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2006 8:11 pm

I really found the poetry part of the site interesting. I loved reading a few of the many poems that soldiers wrote. I also looked at the map of Europe in 1914. I was surprised to see that Germany extended much farther east and Russia much farther west than today. Finally, I enjoyed the propaganda posters, as most other kids did. The posters in general tried to make people feel like they were personally needed, and that joining the military is the most wonderful thing.
Back to top Go down
laurent_'10

laurent_'10

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2006-09-09

PostSubject: Discovering World War One and Reporting Back    POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2006 10:19 pm

I thought this site was amazing. It was like looking at a library full of thousands of documents on the war. When I was looking around, I came across the posters for promoting men to enlist. When I looked closely, I was really surprised at some of the signs. There was one sign that said "United War Work" and it had a picture of three guys playing pool. After reading our novel All Quiet on the Western Front we know that war work is everything but playing pool. I thought it was just mean that the signs were so misleading. I read more posters and really began to understood how the war was the "in" thing to do, since all of the posters had a very strong persuasive appeal. This web site was very cool, and it was neat to get some background knowledge of World War One.
Back to top Go down
ananya_j

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2006 11:29 pm

On this websit i learned many new things about the World War I. THe topic that mostly catched my attention was the propaganda posters. In this topic i learned that about how the military used these posters to find new soldiers who are willing to risk their lives to join the army. I also learned that these propaganda posters were really sucessful in Britain because they had a lot of soldiers who joined up to fight at the front.
Back to top Go down
alyang

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2006 4:14 pm

i found it interesting that some of the U.S. propaganda was based around food. Was food a big problem back then? how did food influence people to enlist people in the army?
Back to top Go down
kayla2

kayla2

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2006 12:42 pm

I liked looking at the pictures. It is nice to have documentation of events hat happened during world war one, however, in the book, it said that photographers in aeroplanes would fly over them and give away their location, so it probably was more of a burden then a help. I also liked looking at the pictures in Mr. Kelso's class. Those pictures were really interesting and that thing that made them 3D was awesome.
Back to top Go down
itsyihong

itsyihong

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2006 12:43 pm

I was amazed to see so many pictures and primary sources from World War I. I had no idea so many animals were used by the troops. Dogs, camels, horses, donkeys, and mules all played all did work such as pulling supplies. It was also interesting to learn that there were women soldiers involved in the war disguised as men. Even though women were thought to be pretty helpless, this shows that women can be just as strong as men. This site helped me get background information on World War I, and helped me understand the setting of All Quiet on the
Western Front
better.
Back to top Go down
dur_its_jennifer

dur_its_jennifer

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2006 1:09 pm

I thought it was pretty interesting how aircraft technology suddenly developed so fast as they did during the war. I didn't know that the use of airplanes was kind of new, and that it was only like a decade old. Even though airplanes were not of much use as they would be today, they gave people a better view of the battlefield from above. After the war, airplanes were considered more important. Also i was pretty curious on how so many pictures were taken of the war. For example, I saw a picture of a guy who had died from the effect of a gas attack. I was wondering how people were able to photograph that. Were there photographers going around and taking pictures during the war? During the Civil War, I know there were people who went around and took picture and sketched images of the war. Were there people like that during World War I?
Back to top Go down
katie3

katie3

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-09-11

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2006 3:32 pm

i really liked looking at the posters. i found it interesting how they used pictures to get people into the war when really some seemed discouraging such as battle scenes. my favorite poster was the one that was in canada and had the butter it seemed like something people would put up today.
Back to top Go down
KimLp.6

KimLp.6

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Before I read the book All Quiet on the Western Front, I don't really know much about WWI. Until I read the book, I found out about the poison gas and the gas mask. So when I visited the website, I found out more about the poison and the mask. I learned that the French are actually the one who started the gas. Even though the French started it, tr German was the one who really study it closely and developed it further.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/azn_skoolgyrl
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POST: Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6)   POST:  Discovering WWI and Reporting Back (closes 10/6) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next